OOIFB will establish ‘Action Items’ as a way to focus on particular issues. In some cases, the Action Item will require the establishment of either ad hoc or permanent working groups.
The following information reflects OOIFB actions.
OOIFB Action Items
Action: OOIFB- 2017-1 (completed): Form an OOIFB Ad-hoc Working Group on Data Dissemination and Cyber Infrastructure (DDCI).
Charge of the OOIFB Ad-hoc Working Group on Data Dissemination and Cyber Infrastructure (DDCI):
Step 1) To facilitate the assessment of OOI data quality by the scientific community, and to accelerate the integration of OOI infrastructure usage into project proposals and scientific publications, the OOIFB will establish an ad-hoc Working Group to identify near-term obstacles to the delivery of data to the science community and to create recommendations for removing these obstacles. The Data Dissemination and Cyber Infrastructure (DDCI) Working Group will include subject matter experts and cyberinfrastructure (CI) experts to review the current status of the CI component of the OOI and the existing development plans. OOIFB members Tim Crone and Jim O’Donnell will serve as co-chairs, and Brian Glazer will serve as a member. Representatives of the Marine Implementing Organizations and representatives of earlier CI Review Panels will be included as members. Representatives of the OOI CI team will be asked to participate. There are other operational systems that aggregate and disseminate marine, earth, and atmospheric sciences data and the DDCI Working Group will consider input from those enterprises. The Working Group will report to the OOIFB in August 2017.
Step 2) Transition the DDCI to a standing committee of OOIFB.
Tim Crone, LDEO (OOIFB Member)
Jim O’Donnell, UCONN (OOIFB Member)
Brian Glazer, UH (OOIFB Member)
Derrick Snowden, NOAA
Orest Kawka, UW
Stephanie Petillo WHOI
Richard Signell, USGS
Mary Jo Richardson, TAMU
- 8/15/17 – DDCI is learning more about uFrame and ERDDAP and starting direct discussions with the CI team.
- 9/26/17 – DDCI reviewed their draft report at the OOIFB Meeting.
- DDCI will hold a phone meeting this week to finailze the DDCI Report/Recommendations
- DDCI will send the report to OOIFB early in the week starting 10/2.
- OOIFB will have a 2-Day review and consider endorsement.
- OOIFB will send the report to NSF no later than Friday, October 6th.
- Report sent Oct 3.
Action: OOIFB- 2017-2 (completed) – Refresh OOI Traceability Matrices and Create a Conceptual Diagram of relative O&M costs versus relevance of OOI Infrastructure assets
Step 1: Refresh the traceability matrices that are included as Appendices in the document, Ocean Observatories Initiative (OOI) Scientific Objectives and Network Design: A Closer Look, 2009.
Step 2: Create a figure (or figures) similar to Figure 3.9 of the Sea Change: 2015- 2025 Decadal Survey of Ocean Sciences NAS report that focuses on OOI Infrastructure. Figure 3-9 is a conceptual diagram of relative operation and maintenance costs versus relevance of infrastructure assets.
Timeline – The refreshed matrices and figure are needed for the November NSB meeting. Preliminary data is needed by the summer.
- Action OOIFB-2017-2A Request data from OOI regarding the status of sensors/instruments. (6/14/2017 Conference Call)
- Action OOIFB02017-2B – OOIFB Matrices Review – First Cut. (6/14/2017 Conference Call)
- 8/1/17 Preliminary test refresh of traceability matrices accomplished that leds to new insights on what information on sensors and platforms is needed.
- 8/4/17 OOIFB web conference to review the refresh status and identify areas where additional data is needed.
- 8/15/17 Information received from OOI on sensor and platform status. OOIFB considering what information is most useful to researchers and does not place an undue burden on operators.
- 9/26/17 Reviewed progress on the refresh of the 2007 matrices. Continuing activities:
- Continue refresh activities.
- Aspirations (looking forward) can be shown below the dashed line. Deb’s matrix provides a good example.
- If OOIFB would like to go out to experts in the community, they should.
- Once the google sheet matrices are complete, the graphic design will be cleaned up.
- Post the refreshed matrices on the OOIFB.org site. We would like to post one or two of these to the community soon.
- Update the matrices every 5 years.
Action: OOIFB- 2017-3 (completed) – Develop an OOIFB Recommendation Regarding Supporting Science with NSF-Owned Equipment Purchased for OOI
Background – In fall 2017, the Ocean Observatories Initiative will remove its two Southern Hemisphere moorings arrays. The Southern Ocean sites and array design were considered by the OOI community consultation process to have the potential to yield observations that would provide transformational insights to the processes that control biological productivity in the Southern Ocean, and influence the earth’s weather and climate.
- August/September – Sarah Gille polled the science community and drafted a recommendation.
- 9/26/17 – OOIFB reviewed the draft recommendation.
- 9/27/17 – OOIFB endorsed the recommendation with modifications from Jim O’Donnell, Sarah Gille, and Sheri White. The recommendation is ready for submittal to NSF.
Action: OOIFB- 2017-4 (completed) – Provide a recommendation regarding the OOI Network Plan
- OOIFB should send the following recommendation to NSF:
- Recommendation: OOIFB recommends an updated document of the baseline deployed arrays, platforms and sensors accompanied by a viusalizaton of the arrays in a consistent style – OOIFB sees these as a valuable resource across the program and for users giving presentations on OOI and for publications. Include a brief descriptive paragraph.
- This will be needed for the Ocean Sciences Meeting in February 2018.
- Must include a table of all sensors with user-friendly names as well as the data product name e.g., Nitrate NUTNRA
- Deb Kelley volunteered to draft an example
- Include information on the OOIFB.org webpage that the 2010 Final Network Design is outdated. It is based on original pre-construction plans.
- 9/27/17 OOIFB drafted and endorsed the recommendation.
Action: OOIFB- 2017-5 (completed) – OOIFB Townhall at the 2018 Ocean Sciences
- Prepare the agenda:
- Introduce of OOIFB
- OOI Operational Update
- What OOI data is availability and can it be accessed. ‘Heat maps’ provide good examples.
- Provide a few OOI Science success stories (Eclipse, Axial, etc.) Invite success story speakers (outside of the IO – Scott Nooner, Karen Bemis, SIO student, etx)
- Snazzy demos followed by hands-on stations.
- Engage Coastal and Global
- Request that the town hall be on Monday. If OOI data is easily available, then there could be workstations in the town hall room.
- Provide lunch.
- Broadly advertise the Town Hall and send out an NSF Kandy gram.
9/5/17 Submitted Abstract
9/27/17 Discussed agenda topics, format, and advertising.
Action: OOIFB- 2017-6 (completed) – OOIFB Charter
- The OOIFB Terms of Reference need to be modified to add procedures for:
- Appointing new members
- Establishing Standing committees, and
- General operating procedures.
- OOIFB members are asked to send examples to Larry and Annette.
- This will be on the agenda for review at (or before) the next meeting.
- Charter accepted at the May 2018 OOIFB meeting.
Action: OOIFB- 2017-7 (pending) – Identify topics and issues of mutual interest to SOC and OOIFB that would benefit by joint discussion
- Deb Kelley was asked to provide a list of topics that should be addressed by both the SOC and OOIFB. She will also suggest the optimum way for us to communicate.
- Meetings will be scheduled as needed.
Action: OOIFB- 2017-8 (pending) – Identify strategies for collecting OOI User Metrics.
- OOIFB will task DDCI to identify strategies for collecting OOI User metrics.
- DDCI can seek advice from experts.
- This will be on the agenda for the next DDCI meeting.
- This tasking is for OOI 2.0.
Action: OOIFB-2018-1 (completed) – Review and provide input to Engineering Change Request from Dennis McGillicuddy and colleagues regarding Pioneer.
- OOIFB reviewed application, heard input from WHOI engineers, and discussed process.
- 3/9/2018 The OOIFB held a conference call on March 7, 2018 to discuss the OOI Engineering Change Request (ECR) 1300-00583: Pioneer AUV Sampling Modification. We feel that this type of request is exactly what should be happening as researchers learn about the capabilities of OOI. We heard from OOI personnel at WHOI who concurred that there would be minimal, to no impact on the OOI sampling schedules. OOIFB input to your request is that the ECR proposing AUV sampling changes to support an NSF-funded proposal by Dennis McGillicuddy and colleagues be approved.
Action: OOIFB-2018-2 (pending): AGU Fall Meeting Town Hall
- Identify an OOIFB member to draft an abstract for an OOIFB Town Hall. The abstract should be not more than 200 words and include a description of the target audience and goals. The Town Hall should focus on community engagement. The submitter must be an AGU member with dues up to date for 2018. Abstracts will be accepted from mid-June to 1 August, 2018 https://fallmeeting.agu.org/2018/town-halls/. If the Town Hall is accepted the OOIFB member will provide a leadership role in organizing the Town Hall.Action Taken
Action: OOIFB-2018-3 (pending): OOI Non-Profit Collaborations Statement
- The OOIFB should prepare a statement regarding collaborations with non-profit organizations with an interest in OOI.
Action: OOIFB-2018-4 (pending): North East Pacific Partners Statement
- The OOIFB should prepare a statement regarding OOI and Regional Observing Partners in the North East Pacific region. The statement should encourage ties between these groups that will allow for efficient operations and observations through sharing lessons learned and enhanced communications.
Action: OOIFB-2018-5 (completed): Transition from Voting to Non-Voting member
- OOIFB Voting Member, Kendra Daly, was transitioned to a non-voting OOIFB member for the period that she is supported by COL for OOI-related work. Work with COL will end on September 30, 2018, at which time Kendra will transition back to an OOIFB voting member.
Action: OOIFB-2018-6 (completed): OOIFB Charter Motion
- The OOIFB unanimously passed a motion to adopt the OOIFB Charter dated May 8, 2018 (O’Donnell/He).
Action: OOIFB-2018-7 (completed): Review 2018 Annual Workplan
- OOIFB reviewed a draft Annual Workplan in mid-August and submitted a summary to NSF on August 20, 2018
Action: DDCI-2018-1 (pending): Formalize DDCI Terms of Reference & Membership
- It is anticipated that the DDCI will be significantly tasked during 2018/2019. With this in mind, the DDCI should formalize their terms of reference and review their membership by September 30, 2018.
Action: DDCI-2018-2 (pending): Data Delivery Evaluation
- The DDCI is tasked to conduct a baseline evaluation on data delivery plans of the new OOI 2.0 operator no later than December 31, 2018.
- The DDCI is tasked to conduct a review of the success of the OOI data delivery for completion in April 2019 (6 months after the OOI 2.0 begins). Metrics for success will be established for the review.