OOIFB Town Hall at the 2018 Fall AGU Meeting
The Ocean Observatories Initiative Facility Board (OOIFB) hosted a Town Hall at the 2018 Fall AGU meeting in Washington, DC. The community was invited to hear the latest information about the OOI facility, meet the OOIFB members, and learn about research using OOI data. The Town Hall included lightning presentations where scientists presented one slide in one minute explaining how s/he has used the OOI data in their respective research. The Town Hall was well attended by members of the community.
Date and Time: Monday, 10 December 2018: 18:15 – 19:15
Location: Marriott Marquis, Room: Independence Salon E (located on the M4 level) , 901 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC.
Town Hall Agenda: The Town Hall agenda topics included the list below. Click on titles to view the associated slide deck.
- 1815 Welcome – Larry Atkinson, Chair, OOIFB (OOIFB & DDCI Slide Deck)
- 1820 Updates from the National Science Foundation
- 1825 Meet the OOI Operator and OOI 2.0 Updates
- 1835 Introduction of Tim Crone, Chair of OOIFB’s Data Dissemination and Cyber Infrastructure
- 1845 Lightning Presentations
- 1900 Questions, Answers, and Discussion
- 1915 End of Town Hall
Town Hall Lightning-Talk Presenters included:
- Ashley Burkett, Oklahoma State University
- Bill Chadwick, OSU & NOAA
- Matt Cook, Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- Adrian Doran, Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- Molly James, University of Connecticut
- Hilary Palevsky, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Dax Soule, Queens College
- Richard Signell, USGS
An interesting exercise during the Town Hall was a question/answer session using the on-line tool, Sli.do. Participants at the Town Hall were polled on three questions. The results of the Sli.do poll are available here.