Action: OOIFB-2021-1 (Complete) – Assist in the selection of the next location of the Pioneer Array and optimization of its configuration at the new site.
- An organizing group was formed that includes the OOIFB Chair and Executive Secretary, and representatives from NSF, Knowinnovation, and the OOI Program. Panel members were added to assist with Innovations Lab 1 and Sparks replaced the Panel for Innovations Lab 2. Some OOIFB members also participate as organizers and Lab participants.
- Organizing web conferences are held every other week initially and then weekly as the Labs begin.
- All Labs were virtual and hosted by the OOIFB with facilitation support provided by Knowinnovation.
- January 13, 2021 – Pioneer Array Phase 1 Micro Lab. There were 93 participants.
- January 31, 2021 – The application period to apply for the Pioneer Array Phase 1 Innovations Lab closes.
- March 15-19, 2021 – Phase 1 Pioneer Array Innovations Lab was held to provide recommendations on the next location for the Pioneer Array. There were 47 participants.
- April 30, 2021 – NSF announces that the next location of the OOI Coastal Pioneer Array is the Mid-Atlantic Bight (MAB).
- May 3-31, 2021 – Applications to participate in the Pioneer Array Phase 2 Innovations Lab were open.
- May 12, 2021 – The Pioneer Array Phase 2 Micro Lab was held. There were 93 participants.
- June 21-25, 2021 – Phase 2 Pioneer Array Innovations Lab was held to collect recommendations on how the Pioneer Array configuration can be optimized at its new location in the Mid Atlantic Bight. There were 53 participants.
- September 30, 2021 – The OOIFB report, Selecting the Next Location for the OOI Pioneer Array using a Virtual Lab Approach,is submitted to NSF.
Action: OOIFB-2021-2 (Complete) – Provide feedback on the NSF Panel report regarding the OOI Mid Award Review. NSF requests feedback by February 17th.
- The Panel recommendations along with edits from the OOI Program were provided to the OOIFB and DSC on February 5th. Feedback was compiled into a Google Doc.
- The OOIFB and DSC feedback on the MAR Panel report was provided to NSF on February 17, 2021.
Action: OOIFB-2021-3 (Complete) – Review and provide input to the 2021 OOI Annual Work Plan (AWP) for Program Year 4.
- The PY4 OOI AWP with cost figures redacted was provided to OOIFB for review on April 26, 2021.
- The OOIFB discussed the review process, assignments, and timeline during their April web conference.
- Initial AWP feedback and questions from the OOIFB provided to NSF on May 12th.
- May 26, 2021 – The OOIFB Spring Meeting focused on the OOI Annual Work Plan for Program Year 4. Participants included the OOIFB, DSC, NSF, and OOI Program representatives. During the meeting, OOI provided responses to OOIFB’s preliminary feedback
- June 4, 2021 – The OOIFB provided their final feedback to NSF regarding the OOI 2.0 Annual Work Plan for Program Year 4.
Action OOIFB-2021-4 (Complete) – Open Application Process for the Larry P. Atkinson Travel Fellowship
- April 20, 2021 – Announce Call for applications. Applications accepted via on-line application form.
- September 23, 2021 – The first Larry P. Atkinson Travel Fellowship for students and early career scientists is awarded to Elizabeth Ferguson (California State University San Marcos and the CEO and Founding Director of Ocean Science Analytics).
- Liz Ferguson attended the24th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals, held on 1 – 5 August, 2022 in Palm Beach, Florida. A video of her presentation is available at: SMM2022 Video.
Action OOIFB-2021-5 (Complete) – Plan Town Hall session for 2021 Fall AGU Meeting
- Annette DeSilva submitted the abstract to AGU on April 14th
- AGU accepted the OOIFB Town Hall abstract for 2021 Fall AGU Meeting on August 11th.
- A call for Lightning Talks applications was open with a deadline of December 1st.
- The OOIFB Town Hall at the 2020 Fall AGU Meeting was held on 14 December in New Orleans, LA. Participants could attend in-person or via Zoom. The agenda, presentations, and details are available HERE.
Action: OOIFB-2021-6 (Complete) – Announce a Call for Applications to Fill an open position on the OOIFB.
- A Call for Applications was announced on July 13th.
- Applications closed on August 15, 2021.
- September 23, 2021 – Paulinus Chigbu (University of Maryland Eastern Shore) appointed to fill a vacancy position on the OOIFB.
Action OOIFB-2021-7 (Complete) – Host a Community Workshop focused on the North East Pacific OOI Arrays (This action item was postponed in 2020 due to COVID):
- Planning for the NE Pacific Workshop resumed in July 2021 with plans to host the workshop in spring 2022. MIOs were contacted for availability options.
- The following original organizers along with new members participate in the planning:
- Kendra Daly (USF) – OOIFB Chair
- Ed Dever (OSU/OOI Endurance)
- Richard Dewey (ONC)
- Deb Kelley (UW/OOI-RCA)
- Andrew Leising (NOAA)
- Tommy Moore (NWIFC)
- Al Plueddemann (WHOI/OOI-GCSN)
- Dax Soule (Queens College)
- Annette DeSilva (OOIFB Admin Office)
- A workshop web page was created and Save the Date announcement sent on January 12th
- Hybrid model for participation planned (in-person and virtual)
- Suggested presenters, session leaders, and panelists are contacted – ongoing
- Applications for the Workshop open – February 14, 2022 with cut off date of March 20, 2022. More than 90 applications are received for in-person and virtual participation.
- The Workshop was held on June 7-9, 2022 at the OSU Portland Campus Center in Portland, OR. There were 105 participants, 66 in person and 39 virtual. An optional OOI Data Delivery Q&A session was held on Friday, June 10th. The workshop included plenary speakers, breakout sessions, and poster displays. All workshop material is available on the workshop website.
Action: OOIFB-2021-8 (Complete) – Draft paper describing the process for OOIFB’s review of the OOI Annual Work Plan.
- The process for the OOIFB’s review of the OOI Operations & Management Annual Work Plan (AWP) was discussed during the June OOIFB web conference.
- Based on feedback from the 2021 AWP review and feedback from the OOIFB, a paper was drafted describing the review process.
- NSF and OOIFB endorsed the review process for the AWP. The AWP Review Process was posted on the OOIFB website on September 1, 2021.
Action OOIFB-2021-9 (Complete) – Plan Town Hall session for 2022 Ocean Sciences Meeting
- OOIFB Town Hall abstract was submitted on September 28, 2021.
- December 20, 2021 – OSM accepts abstract
- OOIFB Town Hall Webpage created and call for lightning talk applications is announced – January 18th
- Lightning Talk application deadline is February 9th and 8 talks are accepted.
- February 25, 2022 – The OOIFB Town Hall is held virtually with more than 50 participants.