Action: OOIFB-2019-1 (Complete): Review and provide input to the 2019 OOI Annual Work Plan (AWP) – NSF provided the draft AWP to OOIFB in April 2019. NSF requests OOIFB’s feedback by May 31, 2019. The final AWP is due in August.
- AWP with cost figures redacted provided to OOIFB for review on April 30, 2019.
- OOIFB questions regarding the AWP were sent to NSF requesting additional information and clarifications on May 14, 2019.
- OOI PMO provided responses to the questions at the OOIFB May 2019 meeting. OOIFB discussed their AWP response.
- OOIFB provided their feedback to the 2019 AWP for Program Year 2 to NSF on May 31, 2019.
Action OOIFB-2019-2 (Complete): Future Annual Work Plan Feedback: OOIFB should provide feedback to NSF on useful format/content suggestions regarding the AWP for Program Year 3. Feedback should be submitted to NSF by December 31, 2019.
- Initial comments have been compiled and reviewed during July OOIFB Web Conference.
- OOIFB input was sent to NSF on December 30, 2019.
Action OOIFB-2019-3 (Complete): Plan Town Hall session for 2019 Fall AGU Meeting – An organizing team is needed. Suggested themes include:
- OOIFB and DDCI updates
- OOI Program Update
- Lightning talks
- Larry Atkinson submitted the abstract.
- AGU accepted the Town Hall – Scheduled on Dec 9th at 6:15 pm
- Announcement and call for Lightning Talks sent to the community and posted on Oct 16th.
- The OOIFB Town Hall was held on Dec 9th in San Francisco.
Action OOIFB-2019-4 (Complete): 2020 Ocean Sciences OOIFB Town Hall – OOIFB should submit an abstract request for a Town Hall at the 2020 Ocean Sciences. Requests for Town Hall sessions must be submitted by September 18, 2019.
- Annette submitted the abstract.
- OSM accepted the Town Hall – Scheduled on Thursday, Feb 20, 2020 at 12:45 – 1:45 pm
- Announcement and call for Lightning Talks sent to the community and posted on Jan 8th.
- 15 Lightning talks are submitted.
- The OOIFB Town Hall was held on February 20, 2020 in San Diego.
Action OOIFB-2019-5 (complete): Provide recommendations regarding OOI community engagement needs
- Note -the original action item was to form an OOIFB task force on science outreach/ engagement
- The Action Item was revised. The action is now to provide recommendations for OOI Community Engagement Needs.
- Sarah Gille, Jim McDonnell, and Deb Kelley volunteered to draft at task statement for the working group. They held a web conference on August 14th to discuss the task statement.
- August 16 – questions and addition information request sent to NSF.
- Oct 2nd – The group along with NSF held a web conference and it was decided to revise the task statement. They will now provide recommendations regarding OOI community engagement needs.
- During the Nov 2019 OOIFB Meeting the community engagement recommendations were presented to the FB:
- Hold an OOI community workshop.
- Provide input on the OOI booth plans for the 2020 Ocean Sciences Meeting as needed.
- Pause further action and do not form a community engagement task force until after the OOI Community Outreach position was filled and the new manager has been in the position for about 6 months.
Action OOIFB-2019-6 (Complete): Con Ops Feedback – OOIFB is invited to provide feedback to NSF on the OOI Concept of Operations document. Feedback should be submitted to NSF by December 31, 2019.
- Discussed during the November OOIFB meeting.
- OOIFB input was sent to NSF on December 30, 2019.
Action OOIFB-2019-7 (Postponed): Host a Community Workshop focused on the North East Pacific OOI Arrays:
- The venue could be Portland, OR in Spring 2020.
- Organizers could include the OOI RCA and Endurance PIs, ONC, OOIFB, and Early Career Scientists.
- Provide a forum to facilitate science collaborations and identify strategies for engaging future users of OOI.
- New features of the OOI data delivery system could be presented.
- January – Deb Kelley, Ed Dever, Kendra Daly, Annette DeSilva, and Lisa Clough met to discuss logistics and identify potential additional organizing committee members.
- Organizing Committee formed and includes: Deb Kelley, Ed Dever, Kendra Daly, Richard Dewey, Andy Leising, Joe Schumacker, and Annette DeSilva. They meet biweekly.
- The date and venue for the workshop were set – OSU Portland Center, Portland, OR on June 23-25.
- The workshop agenda was drafted and progress was made identifying and confirming presenters. All workshop related documents are in Google Drive folder.
- The workshop application form was open on March 5th.
- On March 27th an announcement was made to postpone the workshop due to COVID-19 concerns.
- Special Note – Planning for the workshop was resumed in 2021. Please see Action OOIFB-2021-6.
Action OOIFB-2019-8 (Complete): OOIFB Call for Applications – Put out a call applications to fill one open position on the OOIFB. The call can be announced in winter/spring with the appointment confirmed before the spring OOIFB meeting.
- Call for Applications was posted and announced on February 19, 2020 with a deadline of March 20th.
- OOIFB selected Dax Soule as the new member and the appointment was approved by NSF. Dax Soule accepted the OOIFB position on March 27th.